Law, Samuel Andrew, 1771-1845
Samuel Andrew Law was the son of William and Mary (Hotchkiss) Law. He was born in Cheshire, CT in 1771. He attended the Litchfield Law School in 1793 and was admitted to the bar in 1795. He partnered with Ephraim Kirby and speculated in Connecticut Western Reserve Land in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. A town there was named Lawsville for him, though it was later renamed. In 1796, law started a school which became a part of an Episcopal Academy of Cheshire. The following year, he moved to Delaware County, New York where he is credited with establishing the town of Meredith. He began a legal practice and remained for the rest of his life.