Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Richards, George, 1816-1870

 Person

George Richards, the fifth son and eighth child of Peter and Ann Channing (Huntington) Richards, was born in New London, Conn., Nov. 2d, 1816. He taught school for a short time, and in 1842 entered Andover Theological Seminary. A year later he removed to the Yale Theological Seminary, and 1844 became a Tutor in this College. He was ordained, Oct. 8th, 1845, as associate pastor of the Central (Congregational) Church, in Boston, where he remained until 1859, having become sole pastor in 1851. After a visit to Europe, he took charge of the Congregational Church in Litchfield, Conn., in Dec. 1860. Thence he removed at the close of the year 1865 to Bridgeport, Conn, where he was installed over the First Congregational Church, Jan. 3d, 1866. He was dismissed from this pastorate, Aug. 1870. For a year or two previous, Mr. Richards had been afflicted with a nervous disease, which was accompanied with partial loss of sight and impaired reason, and which finally resulted in his decease, at Bridgeport, Oct. 20th, 1870. In July, 1868, Mr. Richards was chosen a member of the Corporation of Yale College. He married, in 1846, Miss Anna M Woodruff, of Philadelphia. [In 1871,] she [was] still living with five children: of whom the eldest son [was] a member of the Junior Class in this College.

Citation

Obiturary Record of Graduates of Yale College, Deceased during the academical year ending in July, 1871, including the record of a few who died a short time previous, hitherto unreported, Presented at the meeting of the Alumni, July 12th, 1871

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

George Richards sermons and address

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: 00-2010-215-0
Scope and Contents Item 1: sermon delivered Apr. 27, 1862, and Feb. 4, 1866; Item 2: sermon delivered Sep. 14, 1862 prior to the departure of the 19th Regiment; Item 3: address, "How New England Can Hold Its Own," delivered Jan. 21, 1869, in Washington, Conn., at the dedication of Farmers' Hall.
Dates: Created: 1862-1869