Skip to main content

Litchfield Chapter American Red Cross record books


Identifier: 00-1972-132-0

Scope and Contents

The Litchfield Chapter American Red Cross record books (1972-132-0) consist of four record books covering the years 1898 through 1944. The record books are comprised mainly of meeting minutes that detail topics of discussion, work of the chapter, and other items given attention during regular meetings of the chapter. The books also contain newspaper clippings for local newspapers detailing the activity of the chapter. The 1898 record book contains a typewritten membership roll that lists out the names of officers, the executive committee, and members of the organization. The items are housed in 3A Box 35.


  • created: 1898-1944
  • Other: Date acquired: 12/04/1972


Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical or Historical Information

Organized in May, 1898, as Red Cross Auxiliary No. 16, the Litchfield Chapter of the American Red Cross was the first Red Cross organization in Connecticut. The Auxiliary was started for the purpose of helping the soldiers in the Spanish-American War, and produced 3,646 hospital garments, and raised $708.10 during the summer of 1898. The Auxiliary was re-organized in October, 1900, as Auxiliary No. 5, of the American Red Cross, which had by that time secured the protection and recognition of the United States Government for its insignia. On July 11, 1905, it was again re-organized and the Auxiliary became Sub-Division No. 1, of the Connecticut Branch. In March 1910, the Sub-Division became a full fledged chapter with jurisdiction over the entire county. In 2000, the 102-year-old branch lost its charter and was combined with the Greater Torrington Chapter.


0.00 Linear Feet

4 bound volumes items

Language of Materials


Source of Acquisition

Litchfield Chapter American Red Cross

Method of Acquisition


Other Descriptive Information

This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Litchfield Chapter American Red Cross record books
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Litchfield Historical Society Repository

7 South Street
P.O. Box 385
Litchfield CT 06759
860-567-3565 (Fax)