Litchfield County University Club records
Scope and Contents
The Litchfield County University Club records consist of minute books, a membership list, and scrapbooks, documenting the organziation from 1896 to 1958. Three minute books (1896-1956) also occasionally have news clippings, correspondence, and programs pasted in. Two scrapbooks (1897-1940) mainly contain news clippings, but also contain correspondence, programs, by-laws, bills, and other items. The membership list (1896-1958) is in a single volume and indicates the members' order of admission, address, college attended, degree and year, when admitted, when resigned, and cause of resignation. The records also contain a book, The Litchfield County University Club: 1896-1956, published by the Club in 1960.
- Created: 1896-1958
- Other: Date acquired: 01/02/2012
- Litchfield County University Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Litchfield County University Club was conceived by Carl Stoeckel and Ellen Battell Stoeckel and founded at a meeting on May 29, 1896, at their home in Norfolk, Conn., with its objects being, as defined in the Club's constitution, "the promotion of good-fellowship among its members and the advancement of the interests of Higher Education." Membership was open to "all persons who have taken advanced degrees at a college, or similar or higher institution of learning." The first annual meeting, with 55 members present, was held on June 16, 1897. In the early days of the Club, the dinner meetings were sumptuous, black-tie affairs, catered until 1923 by Delmonico's of New York. There were two dinner meetings a year, usually in the winter and spring, held at clubs, banquet halls, or at one of the several private boarding schools in the area. The dinners featured a speaker or entertainment. Beginning in 1914, the Club awarded scholarships to high school students who resided and attended school in Litchfield County. As of 1960, the Club had assets of $160,000.
Note written by
Note written by
2.34 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Jacqueline Kuhn for the Litchfield County University Club
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Litchfield County University Club records
- Leith Johnson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description