Skip to main content

Hack and Eraclito collection

1981-09-0

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-09-0

Scope and Contents

The Hack and Eraclito collection consists of papers which relate to the former Westleigh Inn of Litchfield, Conn., owned by Joseph J. Hack, Jr., Daniel J. Hack, and Frank Eraclito. The inn was in operation from 1946 until it was sold in 1973. The collection consists of incorporation, subscriber, and stock records; menus; advertisements, ad mattes, and news clippings; photographs of building interiors, exteriors, the owners and their families, and the staff; menus; thank you notes and tributes; brochures, Christmas cards, and other emphemera; food magazines and other publications; and miscellaneous business papers.

Dates

  • Created: 1945-1972
  • Other: Date acquired: 02/06/1981

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Westleigh Inn was located in a house built in 1760 and expanded and remodeled several times over the years. The Litchfield Hotel Corporation purchased the building from the Lamb family and established the Westleigh Inn in 1946. Joseph J. Hack Jr., was president; Daniel J. Hack, vice president; and Frank Eraclito, secretary-treasurer. The Inn proved popular and counted among its guests Olivia de Havilland, Rosalind Russell, Veronica Lake, Chester Morris, and Bela Lugosi. Joseph Hack died in 1972 and the Inn was sold to Gildersleeve and Smith, Inc. in 1973, reopening as Gildersleeves in 1974. After a period of time it became the Meetinghouse Inn. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1980.

Note written by

Extent

0.83 Linear Feet

2 document boxes other_unmapped

Language of Materials

English

Source of Acquisition

Dorothy M. Hack

Method of Acquisition

Gift

Existence and Location of Originals

multi-part note content

Related Materials

multi-part note content

Other Descriptive Information

This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Title
Hack and Eraclito collection
Author
Leith Johnson
Date
03/03/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Litchfield Historical Society Repository

Contact:
7 South Street
P.O. Box 385
Litchfield CT 06759
860-567-4501
860-567-3565 (Fax)