Emerette Colt Strong autograph album
Scope and Contents
The Emerette Colt Strong autograph album (1972-127-1) contains autographs and verses from fellow classmates at the Connecticut State Normal School in New Britain during the years 1860 and 1861. The album also contains yearly lists of Sunday School students that Mrs. Strong later taught; presumably at the Congregational Church in Winsted, where she was a member. Item is currently housed in 3A Box 3.
- Created: 1860-1912
- Other: Date acquired: 01/06/1972
- Strong, Emerette Colt (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
Emerette Lois Colt Strong was born November 21, 1841. Her parents, Henry Colt and Chloe Catlin Colt, resided in Torrington, Connecticut where they owned a local farm. In 1860 and 1861 Emerette attended the Connecticut State Normal School in New Britain. On June 7, 1866 she married David Strong (1825-1914), businessman and widower of her sister Chloe Maria Colt Strong. David had been a 1st Lieut. in the 24th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers during the Civil War, and established himself as a successful businessman and manufacturer in Winsted, Connecticut after the war's end. He established and served as President of the Strong Manufacturing Company, was President of the Winsted Hosiery Company, the First National Bank and served as Director of the New England Knitting Company. The couple resided in Winsted following their marriage, and Emerette was actively involved in the local community and held a membership with the Congregational Church. The Connecticut state Normal School in New Britain was founded in 1849 with the purpose of training students to become teachers. It was the sixth normal school to be established in the United States, and education reformer Henry Barnard served as the first principal. In 1933 it became a four-year, degree-granting institution and the name was changed to the Teachers College of Connecticut. In 1959 the school became known as Central Connecticut State College, and in 1983 it became Central Connecticut State University.
Note written by
Note written by
0.00 Linear Feet
1 bound volume other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Mr. and Mrs. David F. Strong
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Emerette Colt Strong autograph album
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description