Congregational Society of Northfield subscription records
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents
The Congregational Society of Northfield subscription records (1954-50-0) are comprised of three subscription documents relating to the Congregational Society of Northfield. Included are subscriptions records from 1840 and 1844 for repairing the Meeting House, as well as subscription records from 1866 for the construction of a new Meeting House. The 1866 records not only include lists of subscribers, but also written specifications for the construction of the new building which was designed by architect R.G. Russell, and contracted by Charles Hotchkiss and Son.
- Created: 1840-1866
- Other: Date acquired: 05/05/1954
- Congregational Society of Northfield (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Ecclesiastical Society of Northfield was incorporated at the session of the General Assembly, October 1794. The name was officially changed to the Congregational Society of Northfield in 1859. The Society was organized at the house of William Washburn at a meeting on January 1, 1795, with fourteen enrolled members. Later in the year it was voted to adopt a plan for a meeting house that would be fifty feet by thirty-eight feet. The building was commenced in 1796, but not completed for use until 1803. It stood on the top of Northfield Hill. The first pastor of the Society was Rev. Joseph Eleazur Camp, who had helped organize the Congregational Church in Northfield. He continued in that office for more than forty yeras. In his early years in Northfield Rev. Camp not only served the Congregational Church, but also the Eposcopal Church. The Society was endowed through a trust fund of $10,000 received from the estate of Asa Hopkins who died in 1838. He lived on the East Hill, where he began at a very early date the manufacture of wooden clocks. He later began the manufacture of flute at Fluteville, and finally removed to New Haven where he again manufactured clocks. By the bequest of William L. Gilbert of Winsted, a native of Northfield who died in 1890, the Society received the sum of $4,000 for a parsonage, to include a room for a free library, for which the further sum of $8,000 was given. The building was completed in 1896.
Note written by
Note written by
3 items in one folder. other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gilbert Library Northfield
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Congregational Society of Northfield subscription records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description