Wolcottville First School District account books
Scope and Contents
The Wolcottville First School District account books (1980-35-0) contains account records of the First School District of Wolcottville. One volume contains records from 1840-1859. The second volume commences January 1, 1854 and continues into 1881. This book passed through the hands of several treasurers during this time and each recorded names along with dates and the amount paid to the school district. Treasurers listed are Giles A. Gaylord, H.S. Barbour, Frank L. Hungerford, Charles E. Church, and Charles L. McNeil. These account books are currently housed in 3A Box 27B.
- Created: 1840-1881
- Other: Date acquired: 06/12/1980
- First School District (Wolcottville, Torrington, Conn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
Wolcottville schools grew out of the experience gained by the Torringford School Society. The Wolcottville school district was not formed until 1812, and there were no taxes for this district until 1815, although a schoolhouse had been built on Main Street – this building was likely erected by popular subscription. This first schoolhouse consisted of only one room until 1818, when another was added. About 1840 a one-story brick schoolhouse was built on Litchfield Street and a year later another on George Street. Three years later another was constructed on Church Street. In 1859 Lauren Wetmore gave to the town land for the erection of a new building. The original section of that building was constructed in 1863, and this school was called the Academy. The school on George Street was abandoned at this time. The first principal was Lucius Clark, who was also in charge of the new school during the first two years after its erection. There was also in the early part of the century a school in West Torrington, which had been erected by the joint efforts of several men, one of whom was Erastus Hodges. This school was continued for some thirty years. There was an institution called the Brick Academy, established in the early days of Wolcottville on Main Street, south of the Center Bridge.
Note written by
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Wolcottville First School District account books
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Litchfield Historical Society Repository
7 South Street
P.O. Box 385
Litchfield CT 06759