Skip to main content

Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation collection

00-1973-61-0

 Collection
Identifier: 00-1973-61-0

Scope and Contents

Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation collection (1973-61-0) contains items related to Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation's work for the Connecticut Power Company from the year 1911 through 1915. Represented in the collection are contracts, specifications, photographs, and other various documents. The bulk of the material deals with the construction of the Connecticut Power Company's Hydro-Electric Power Plant in Falls Village. The two volumes of bound contracts contain written agreements as well as brief plans for contracted power units and equipment to be built by Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation. One bound volume of specification plans give more detailed plans, and contain maps, sketches, and blueprints along with written descriptions. Also present in the collection are three volumes of photographs from 1913-1915. The majority of the photographs chronicle the construction of the various components of the power plant in Falls Village, including images of work camps, views of dam construction, the erection of a Railroad trestle, canal excavation, construction of the power house, assembly of equipment, nightwork, and various other photos of the Van Dyke Substation, Dutch Point Plant, Bristol Power Station, Thomaston Power Station, and the Torrington Power Plant. A published pamphlet titled "The Falls Village Hydro-Electric Development Of The Connecticut Power Company" details the industrial development of the area and discusses the construction of hte Hydro-Electric plant. Three volumes of photographs are housed in 3A Box 8. Other bound volumes are housed in 3A Box 8a.

Dates

  • Created: 1911-1915
  • Other: Date acquired: 12/07/1972

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical or Historical Information

Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation was a subsidiary of Stone and Webster, Incorporated. Stone and Webster, Incorporated has offered its customers engineering, design, construction, consulting, and environmental services to build electric power plants, petrochemical plants and refineries, factories, infrastructure, and civil works projects since 1889. Stone and Webster helped build substantial portions of the nation’s power production infrastructure, including coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear, and hydroelectric plants constituting around 20 percent of the United States’ generating capacity. The company played a significant role in the nation’s defense efforts during World War I and World War II and afterwards, helping develop the A-Bomb, constructing large shipyards, and creating alternate means of production of strategic materials such as synthetic rubber. Much of the world’s capacity in petrochemical and plastics development was also developed as a result of Stone and Webster efforts. After a sudden decline in fortunes in the late 1990s, the company declared bankruptcy in 2000 and was bought by the Baton Rouge, Louisiana based engineering firm the Shaw Group. Stone and Webster continues to be a leader in power plant construction, engineering, and plant management, as well as in hazardous waste management and environmental services. The company’s founders were two electrical engineering graduates from MIT, Charles A. Stone and Edwin S. Webster, who started their own firm, the Massachusetts Electrical Engineering Company, a year after their graduation. The name was changed to Stone and Webster in 1893. Electrical engineering was a new field in the 1880s and Stone and Webster opened their doors in spite of discouraging advice from respected mentors who told them there would not be enough work for both of them. From the company’s start in Boston in 1889, however, there was plenty of work for both of them. Their work initially involved small jobs such as testing equipment and performing feasibility studies. Stone and Webster soon developed original testing systems and expanded their test activities to encompass the complete range of electrical equipment. By the early 1900s, Stone and Webster had diversified rapidly, involving itself in engineering, building, constructing, and managing power plants, and developing a name for its ability to build and operate integrated systems fueled either by coal or hydroelectric generation. Initial start-up operations were handled by the company’s plant betterment division, which created and used an early form of quality control. In addition to its plant operations, the company also installed and managed lighting systems and electric-powered street railway systems. By 1906, a number of major engineering project were in process in six states, with several other being planned. To handle the load, Stone and Webster formed its first subsidiary, Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, which managed all engineering, construction, and purchasing activities. Corporation activities underwent rapid growth, and by 1920 some 14 percent of the nation’s total electrical capacity had been designed, engineered, and built by Stone and Webster.

Note written by

Extent

0.00 Linear Feet

6 bound volumes. other_unmapped

Language of Materials

English

Source of Acquisition

William L. Warren

Method of Acquisition

Gift

Existence and Location of Originals

multi-part note content

Related Materials

multi-part note content

Other Descriptive Information

This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Title
Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation collection
Date
08/05/2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Litchfield Historical Society Repository

Contact:
7 South Street
P.O. Box 385
Litchfield CT 06759
860-567-4501
860-567-3565 (Fax)