Skip to main content

Litchfield Village Improvement Society records


Identifier: 1943-09-0

Scope and Contents

The Litchfield Village Improvement Society records (1943-09-0) are comprised of eight bound volumes of records, a manuscript box of papers, and oversize posters. The records cover the years 1875 through 1941. Represented in the volumes are the "Articles of Association" and By-laws, meeting minutes, financial records, member lists, and annual reports.  Documents in the manuscript box include activities of the Society and plans for colonial changes to the Litchfield County Courthouse, business buildings, and renovation of Armory Hall. The posters are advertising events sponsored by the Society. The bound volumes are currently housed in 3A Box 10. Posters are in Oversize Boxes 1A and 19.


  • created: 1875-1941
  • Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1942


Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Litchfield Village Improvement Company was incorporated April 24, 1875. The purpose for which the Company was formed was to make improvements in the Village of Litchfield, its streets, parks, public grounds and public buildings. The organization could also purchase, erect and maintain new buildings as well. The name of the organization was later changed to the Litchfield Village Improvement Society. The Society was dissolved on November 24, 1941.

Note written by


0.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Custodial History

Rev. Brewster was the President of the Litchfield Village Improvement Society from Oct. 1921 to Dec. 1941 and received the record books from M.T. Van Winkle to look over before they were donated to the Litchfield Historical Society.

Source of Acquisition

Rev. Wm. J. Brewster

Method of Acquisition


Accruals and Additions

Gift of Wiliam L. Warren in Oct. 1952 [6208]; gift of Mrs. Ludlow Bull in Aug. 1961 [5654]; gift of Mary B. Brewster in April 1964 [8357].

Existence and Location of Originals

Related Materials

multi-part note content

Other Descriptive Information

This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Litchfield Village Improvement Society records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Litchfield Historical Society Repository

7 South Street
P.O. Box 385
Litchfield CT 06759
860-567-3565 (Fax)