St. Paul's Lodge No. 11, Grand Lodge of Connecticut, A. M. & F. M. records
Scope and Contents
The records of St. Paul's Lodge No. 11, Grand Lodge of Connecticut, A. M. & F. M. consist of minutes (typically kept in bound volumes labeled "Records"), correspondence, degree certificates, cash and dues books, photographs, publications, ephemera, and other items. The records also document the activities of Darius Chapter 16, Royal Arch Masons and Buel Council No. 20, Royal and Select Masters. The records contain a complete run of minutes from 1781 through 1948. Early members are documented in several lists. Original and revised by-laws can be found in the minutes and in published booklets. There are also minutes for Darius Chapter 16, R.A.M., 1815 through 1956, and Buel Council No. 20, R. & S.M., 1853 through 1928.
- created: 1781-2010
- Other: Date acquired: 08/01/2011
- Freemasons. St. Paul's Lodge (Litchfield, Conn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the creator(s) of this collection for materials they have authored or otherwise produced. After the lifetime of the creator(s), copyright passes to the Litchfield Historical Society. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
In May, 1781, Ashbel Baldwin presented to the Massachusetts Grand Lodge a petition signed by him and thirteen other Masons from Litchfield already affiliated with lodges. The charter was granted and signed by Grand Master Joseph Webb and other officers, including Paul Revere. A charter creating St. Paul's Lodge No. 16 and other documents were delivered to Litchfield by special messenger, who arrived on June 10, 1781. On June 13, 1781, the first meeting was held with Ashbel Baldwin as Master. In 1789, St. Paul's was in the forefront of the formation of the Grand Lodge of Connecticut, and in the realignment that followed, St. Paul's was designated No. 11. Meetings of the Lodge were held at members' homes, taverns, hotels, and other locations until 1885, when the Methodist Church on Meadow St. was purchased. The Lodge continues to meet there today.
Note written by
8.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Philip D. Birkett
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from St. Paul's Lodge, the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) and the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- St. Paul's Lodge No. 11, Grand Lodge of Connecticut, A. M. & F. M. records
- Leith Johnson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description