Litchfield Manufacturing Co. Advertisement
Scope and Contents
Litchfield Manufacturing Company Advertisement (1939-07-1) is a black and white advertisement featuring seven illustrations of wall and mantle clocks, their names and sizes. This item is framed and located in the Curatorial Center.
- Created: 1851-1854
- Other: Date acquired: 12/06/1938
- Litchfield Manufacturing Co. (1850-1854) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Litchfield Manufacturing Company was founded in 1850 by Dr. Josiah G. Beckwith a local physician and druggist who operated a medical practice and pharmacy on South Street in the building currently occupied by the Post Office. Beckwith acquired the property on South Street along the Bantam River that a decade earlier had been used by first Wadsworth, Lounsbury & Turner and later Julius Peck & Co. to manufacture shelf clocks. The factory building at this time measured 80 by 50 feet and was three stories high.
In 1851, the Company incorporated and several investors, including circus owner P.T. Barnum, joined the Board of Directors. The Company manufactured papier-mâché goods such as small tables, card cases, fire screens, portfolios, small boxes, vases and clock cases as well as metal nails, ornamental hinges and clasps for everything from trunks to daguerreotype cases.
Trained papier-mâché workers from England and Germany were brought to Litchfield to work for the Company and train local men and women in the technique. At its peak, the factory employed over 50 people. The success was short lived however. In 1854, P.T. Barnum persuaded the board to move the factory to East Bridgeport. A year later, due to financial difficulties, the factory closed.
Note written by
1.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Physical Access Requirements
Please allow for extra time to make this item available for research.
Source of Acquisition
Miss Phoebe Benton Estate through Miss Adelaide Deming
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
- Litchfield Manufacturing Co. Advertisement
- Kathy Craughwell-Varda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description