First Congregational Church of Litchfield collection
Scope and Contents
The First Congregational Church of Litchfield collection provides documentation on the church from 1845-1999, although the church was founded in 1721. The collection brings together records given by the church and a number of other donors, and includes annual reports; addresses, sermons, and discourses; several editions of the church manual and membership roll; Sunday School Library catalogue (1859) and records; histories; photographs; financial records; correspondence; and other records. There is extensive documentation of the church's colonial revival restoration, 1926-1930, including architectural plans, drawings, notes, bids, correspondence, and related papers. The First Congregational Church of Litchfield was founded in 1721. Its first minister was Timothy Collins, who served until 1751. Noted clergyman Lyman Beecher was the church's minister from 1810 to 1826. The first church building was constructed in 1723 or 1724 and was replaced by a new structure in 1761. A third church was built in 1829 north of the green. This building was moved and replaced in 1873 with a Gothic structure. In 1929, as part of the colonial revival movement in Litchfield, the 1829 church—which had been reused as an assembly hall and movie theater—was returned to the site and restored under the supervision of architect Richard H. Dana. The church's business and legal affairs were managed by the First Ecclesiastical Society, which was founded in 1768. The church itself was incorporated in 1907 and in 1941 the two entities were combined into one corporation. In 1960, the church became part of the United Church of Christ.
- Created: 1845-1999
- Other: Date acquired: 12/07/2006
- First Congregational Church of Litchfield (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
16.00 Linear Feet
6 document boxes, 1 record storage box, and 3 flat file drawers. other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Physical Access Requirements
Architectural drawings are available by appointment due to storage conditions.
Source of Acquisition
First Congregational Church of Litchfield
Method of Acquisition
Accruals and Additions
The First Congregational Church of Litchfield collection has been assembled by the Litchfield Historical Society. It includes records donated by the church regarding the 1926-1929 restoration in 2006 (2006-18-0) and donations made in prior years. It also includes gifts made by individuals.
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Dana, Richard Henry 1879-1933
- Architectural drawings
- Church architecture -- Connecticut -- Litchfield
- Church buildings -- Connecticut -- Litchfield
- Financial records
- First Congregational Church of Litchfield
- Historic buildings -- Connecticut -- Litchfield
- Litchfield (Conn.) -- Church history
- First Congregational Church of Litchfield collection
- Leith Johnson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description